Return to the Bird Watching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
feeding without attracting pigeons

Posted by donnas (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 26, 09 at 12:04

I have tried feeding the little birds using a dollar store bird feeder and dry bird seed. The first couple of years, it was ok. Then, pigeons started coming. I'm using wild bird seed by Pennington, probably one of the least expensive bird seeds. There are so many beautiful small birds, but I'm sick of the pigeons. I want something that is going to attract different small birds, not just a bird seed for cardinals, etc.

I would really love to attract blue birds (not blue jays...we have them here all year 'round). I've seen some beautiful yellow birds, too, but I'm not that familiar with the names of birds as the rest of you. Should I be using a different kind of bird seed? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: feeding without attracting pigeons

Yes, cheap seed is filled with millet, loved by grackles, House Sparrows, pigeons, etc. You can get rid of many vermin birds and attract Goldfinches by switching to Black Oil sunflower seed (BOSS) and using tube feeders, or feeding the more expensive Nyjer, or thistle seed.

Suet feeders will attract woodpeckers and wrens (mine especially love the 99 cent peanutbutter flavored suet packs from WalMart), orange halves will attract orioles, hummeringbird feeders will attract hummingbirds, but to attract Bluebirds you might have to serve live Mealworms.

You can buy most feeders and feed inexpensively at a big box store like WalMart, as well as inexpensive backyard bird field guide booklets. Or you can order a more expensive field guide book, like The Sibley Guide to Birds, used, on Amazon.com

o
RE: feeding without attracting pigeons

Rachel's advice is excellent. Probably the first thing you should do is to buy a good book and learn about what food attracts the birds you want to see in your yard. Obviously if you want to attract hummingbirds, you plant nectar producing flowers or put out a sugar water feeder. The same holds true for other birds. If you would like to see Bluebirds but are squeamish about insect larvae, you can plant trees or shrubs that produce berries that they eat, and keep your lawn cut and free of insecticides so they can hunt insects. If you don't mind handling insect larvae, you can feed them mealworms in a feeder designed to keep the bigger birds (like Blue Jays) out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bird Watching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here