Return to the Bird Watching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
An 'albino' cardinal !? - 3 photos

Posted by ronkw (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 3, 11 at 15:29

I've been feeding a couple of hundred goldfinches and field sparrows, seriously, in addition to "my regulars."

So this guy showed up for the first time today.
No question a cardinal, but what do you make of the color??
Just one of Nature's little flukes, I guess.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: An 'albino' cardinal !? - 3 photos

Very cool! It looks like a partial albino female. Genetic mutations are pretty cool when you get to see them. Nice pics too. Oh, your Field Sparrows are actually Chipping Sparrows. Field Sparrows do not have the dark line through the eye.

BN

o

That is awesome!

Just got this link to a rare yellow Cardinal on my birdky list serve..both birds are gorgeous!

http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/yellow_NOCA.htm

o

Hey BN, thank you so much for the proper sparrow ID. For the past couple of months I was thinking Chipping. Then recently, after more "research" I switched to Field.
And you point out such an obvious mark / trait that eluded me.
The Cardinal seemed to almost glow as it flew to and fro, due to it very light color.
I did a WHAT THE **** when first seeing it!

o

Great pictures! lucky you!! Thanks for sharing.

o

WONDERFUL pics there!!! What a cool Cardinal. I would be so excited to see that. Love the little Chippers. They are so cute!!~~Angie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bird Watching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here