Return to the Bird Watching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Other birds trying to take over barn swallow's nest

Posted by mrsdaddyduck (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 20, 09 at 17:42

What looks like sparrows have twice this year already gone into my barn swallow's nest that they built about 4 years ago and kicked the eggs out. Yesterday I saw one in the nest that had something in it's beak that looked like bits of fluff, like it was trying to add to the nest and then saw the egg smashed on the ground, a couple months ago, they kicked out 2 eggs.

This is the first year this has happened and I'm heartbroken, I love those little barn swallows. Is there anything I can do to keep this from happening again??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Other birds trying to take over barn swallow's nest

Sparrow Spooker http://www.sialis.org/sparrowspooker.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Sparrow Spooker

o

Not unless u get rid of the house sparrow. They also kill adult birds as well as babies and as u know boot eggs out of nests. I'm sorry this is happening 2 u!

Karen

o

"Not unless u get rid of the house sparrow. "

This is not true and you know it! She can use a Sparrow spooker.

o

How do u put a sparrow spooker on a barn swallow nest????

o

The nest is not floating in the air. It's attached to the house. If a bird can attach its nest to it, I guess for a person it wouldn't be too hard to attach a spooker.

o

U mean they don't build a nest in the air????? Gezzz u learn something new everyday. The spooker will hang right down into the nest!!! Barn swallows build usually on porches where the wind can't blow the streamers out to spook the sparrows. Barn swallows will not accept a sparrow spooker. My neighbors tried it because the house sparrow killed the babies!

o

"Barn swallows will not accept a sparrow spooker."

Can you provide me with a link from a trusted source that confirms your statement?

Did your neighbors use your advice from a previous post to make a spooker for a barn swallow nest? If they did, I'm not surprised it doesn't work!

I drew a picture of how I would do it (I used a typical picture of a swallow nest from google). I would start it slowly - put one mylar at a time, from the left side of the picture. Let the birds get use to it, then add more.

Photobucket

o

Get over yourself!!! House sparrows r killers and That picture u posted is Exactly how I had the neighbors hang the streamers. The barn swallows NEVER came back 2 the nest!!!!!!!!!!! I do not need to provide u with anything. I saw it happen.

o

"The barn swallows NEVER came back 2 the nest!!!!!!!!!!!"

One more time: "I would start slowly - put up only one mylar strip at a time, starting from the left side of the picture. Let the birds get use to it, then add more."

PS. Barn swallows are also native to Europe, the same as House sparrows. They have lived together for centuries.

o

In Europe House Sparrows are not the killers they are over here. They are not native here in the US and the best thing we can do to protect our native birds is get rid of the House Sparrows.

I say set up a box near the barn swallow nestbox with a van-ert trap in it, hopefully you can get the HOSP and dispose of them.

Donna

o

"In Europe House Sparrows are not the killers they are over here."

And what's most important? There's are no blue-birders in Europe to call them "killers", buy traps and jump in every post with your anti-sparrow propaganda :) :) :)

From "birdsofbritain" site:
House Sparrow
"Breeds mainly in roofs and holes in buildings, often in colonies. Will also take over nests of House Martins and Sand Martins, sometimes evicting the rightful owners. Equally at home in city centres and farmland, never far from man."

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.birdsofbritain.co.uk/bird-guide/house-sparrow.asp

o

Well to be honest aleksandra, I don't "jump in every post with anti-sparrow propaganda" so take your rude comments elsewhere. I did read quite awhile back on the HOSP in Europe, I can't recall what site, but it did say they aren't as aggressive over there as here. So you may not like or agree with advice given to others on this forum but you don't have to start a debate each time either.

Donna

o

They are no different in Europe than anywhere else. It is true in the animal world it is hard to find a species that's completely innocent. Bluebirds will also kill and take over a nest if they have too. Barn swallows can do the same. I can give you a link with a story about swallows sealing a nest that a sparrow took over, and they sealed it with a sparrow inside (but the link is not in English). Swifts in Europe often take over a nest by killing the birds with its claws. The american cowbird is an angel compared to the European cuckoo bird :) I could continue with these kind of stories forever.

Any way, I don't have a problem with your or anybody else's advise, but you should list all the possible solutions, not just YOUR favorite.

o

Well, thx to all. I bought a mylar balloon unaired and cut into about 2 inch by 10 inch long strips and had hubby staple to right underneath and to the left of the mud nest. They've been back according to his reports while grilling. He checked and there are 2 eggs left.

Once I determine they will go to the nest with the strip there, I will add more, and take down when the babes fly the nest.

Wish me (and them) luck!

o

I hope this workw out for you! Let us know how things go.

o

According to this forum all you need is BB gun. Sparrows gone problem SOLVED! It's easy, they sell nice ones at Walmart.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bird Watching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here