Return to the Bird Watching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orioles prefer grape over strawberry

Posted by glad2garden (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 16, 10 at 20:35

I wanted to see if the orioles and catbirds had a preference when it comes to jelly, so I put out a container of grape jelly on one side and strawberry (organic, no less) on the other side. The grape jelly won hands down. Good thing too, cause grape's a lot cheaper. They eat about 3/4 cup every day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orioles prefer grape over strawberry

That's good to know since I'm often tempted when other (non-grape) jellies are on sale. I've never done a side-by-side test, but apricot spreadable jelly (on sale) is currently well appreciated. I'll go back to grape when the apricot is finished.

Thanks,
Claire

o

mine like the fruit more than the jelly. watermelon is a favorite or pieces of apricots or cherrys or berrys. and they peck on orange halves but really drink fresh orange juice from a glass bowl better. i put a tray on a platform feeder and put the fruit or cherrys or berrys in it. and orange juice on a small glass bowl. they don't care for plums though

o

Our catbirds love grape jelly, no doubt about it. They love orange slices too. I had a catbird last summer who would eat the grape jelly and let me walk by quite closely, he became so accustomed to having his meal several times a day whether I was nearby or not.

We have a lot more catbirds now than last year, and a couple of them are quite large (one I saw was the size of a robin). I think they have a nest somewhere nearby. I will have to keep the fruit and jelly feeder filled!

o

we cleaned out the pantry and rearranged it last week and we found 3 jars of homemade apricot jam in the back. This week i have been alternating between grape and the apricot
some of the birds eat the grape better and other prefer the apricot. but i do have to fill the bowls twice a day
to keep up. the woodpeckers and grosbeaks are getting their fill also.

o

There were 3 baby Orioles at the feeder today! They looked like sparrows at first until I saw the mother or father feeding them jelly. When I looked closer I could see a tint of orange on them. They were so cute begging for jelly! I hope they like living here and stay around for a while.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bird Watching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here