Return to the Bird Watching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homemade squirrel baffle (pics) is working great!

Posted by jiggreen (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 2, 09 at 15:33

I was having a horrible problem with squirrels scampering up my 4x4 post and feasting on the buffet of seeds and nuts that I put out for my feathered friends, as well as destroying my feeders. Hubby made me a squirrel baffle, and I am quite pleased to say it has foiled the squirrels (so far!!).

We went to Tractor Supply and bought a 24"x 24" heavy plastic tray (the kind that goes under a rabbit hutch) for $14.00. Hubby used his jigsaw and cut out a square hole in the center...he then slid it down the post upside down. The center of the tray is supported by 2x2 pieces of wood mounted to the post, and the corners are suspended by heavy gauge fishing line. The tray has grooves which work great for channeling water off. It is also doubling as a feeding platform which the birds love.

Here are a few pictures:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homemade squirrel baffle (pics) is working great!

That is a GREAT idea..wonderful for you to be so handy, and to share your inexpensive solution to a very common problem. Nice clear, instructive photos, too

o

Hi jiggreen -

Your baffle is terrific. Ingenuity, I love it!

Thanks to your inspiration, I tried making a weather dome for one of my feeders, to keep the nyjer seed dry, and used the bottom half of a plastic gallon milk bottle.

If you just cut all the way around the bottle halfway down, turn the bottom over, there are grooves, like the grooves on your baffle, where water will run off. If I make an opening just large enough to go over the feeder handle, it's ready to go.

I am so happy to have recycled something rather than gone out and bought something new. And it was fun. Thanks again to you and your husband for the inspiration.

o

Your baffle looks great. It goes well with the 4x4 construction.

My feeders are pole-mounted and I use black "stove-pipe" style baffles, purchased from Wild Birds Unlimited (they are designed to hang on poles). They are 2 feet long and work great - keep squirrels, raccoons, and chipmunks off the feeders.

They were about $20 each, but then I haven't spent anything on the feeders themselves. I made a home-made suet log, and the BOSS feeders were hand-me-downs. In any case the birds don't care what it looks like!

o

That's great! It's always a pleasure to make something yourself, especially from inexpensive "re-purposed" materials. I know what it's like, because I have been battling squirrels for years, often with home-made solutions. The squirrels seem to be clever, but I've found that they are actually very slow thinkers, making up for it by patient persistence.

Because of this slow thinking, IF they can find a way around your new baffle, it will take a while, so don't declare victory quickly. But don't be discouraged if they find a way around your baffle -- you will just need to make adjustments, after watching how they do it.

They may try jumping up unto or past the baffle. The edges look smooth, so just reaching the edge probably won't be good enough. If one of the squirrels is athletic enough to jump and get all four feet on top of the square platform without slipping off, he may be able to jump from there to the feeders. In that case, raise the height of the platform/baffle. But raise it too much, and they will jump from below the baffle to the feeders.

I'm wondering if the corner supports are good or bad. It depends on how stiff the plastic tray is. If the corners are unsupported, the tray may collapse and dump the squirrel if he manages to get on it. If it is stiff enough to support small birds but not a squirrel, that would be great.

Let us know if it's still working after a few weeks. Wishing you success!

o

Thanks for the responses and compliments on the squirrel baffle!!! I am quite pleased to say that the squirrels have tried their darnedest, but still have not managed to get up onto it. It's funny to watch them run up the post, stop when they realize they can't go any further and jump off...then they just scrounge around on the ground for dropped seeds. I almost feel guilty!! (but not too guilty because I do have a squirrel feeder out for them) And the greatest part is, I am saving so much money in bird food..especially the woodpecker cakes!!!! The birds really enjoy the big "platform", and one thing I've noticed is that the fishing line that supports the corners is helping to keep the larger birds off of the platform. The blue jays have tried to land on there, but they always change their minds.

chickadeemelrose ~ I'll have to try the milk jug idea...I have a couple of feeders that have no "roofs"...I'd like to make something to keep them dry.

james_m_clark~ The upside down tray is actually pretty thick and self supporting..the reasoning behind supporting the corners is the possibility of snow/ice weighing it down and cracking it around the center. I thought this would help distribute the weight.

terrene~ I do have a feeder pole that somehow the squirrels manage to run up, I'll have to try the stove pipe style squirrel baffle for that.

I'll post back in a couple of weeks and let you know if the squirrels have managed to outsmart us!

o

Nice work Jiggreen.

I wish you success but I agree with James, dont be too quick to say victory. Squirrels are sometime astonishing creatures.
I know someone who trapped and released a few squirrels 3 kilometers from his home. Before the next night they were back! I know it was not so fine from me but when he told me that I laughed. Anyway, he is still my friend and he doesn't trap the animals any more.

Luc

o

Ypur observation "I've noticed that the fishing line that supports the corners is helping to keep the larger birds off of the platform" is interesting. I've noticed that the lines of "sparrow spookers" have a similar effect on larger birds. Apparently, with their longer wingspans, the place looks/feels crowded.

o

I wanted to share an update on our homemade squirrel baffle/feeding platform.... It's still working great and I am so thrilled!!!!! Prior to installing it, we were being over run with the sneaky critters, now I rarely see any squirrels, just one persistent fella' who comes around a couple of times a day and checks things out. It is unbelievable how much money I have saved on seeds, as well as the time involved in filling the feeders....I never realized quite how much the squirrels were stealing!

I still haven't declared victory, but things are looking quite hopeful at the moment....that is.....until the squirrels show up with a little ladder and get up there and mock me! lol!

o

Thanks for showing all the details. Maybe I can get my dh to rig something similar up. Me running out the door screaming at squirrels, gets old.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bird Watching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here